Chatham University
Falk Hall, Lower Level
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
Contact Us
Getting Started
Create Account
English Language Program
Success with ELP
Mission Statement
Why Chatham
Programs of Study
Program Calendar
Tuition & Fees
Faculty and Staff
About Pittsburgh
Study Abroad
Why Study Abroad
About Education Abroad
How To Apply
Study Abroad FAQs
Chatham Field Experiences
Pre-Departure Information for Education Abroad
Study Abroad Scholarships
Exchanges and Sponsored Programs
Third Party Providers
Program Search
Program Type:
Program Country:
Program Term:


International Affairs
Study Abroad FAQs


The program I am interested in is so expensive - are there cheaper programs?

Yes, some programs are less expensive than others are. You may wish to find one that is in your price range, but don’t miss out on a chance to go somewhere that you really want to study because of financial limitations. There are many ways to fund your trip. See below.

How can I pay for this?

There are many ways to pay for a study abroad experience.

  • If the program is a Chatham exchange you can apply your Chatham aid toward the program costs.
  • Each undergraduate student receives a one-time study abroad voucher of $1200 which can be used toward any credit bearing experience abroad. 
  • Check to see if your third party program has scholarships available. Some providers or programs offer their own scholarships. Chatham offers some scholarship opportunities for study abroad.
  • You may also qualify for financial aid such as student loans to cover the academic expenses for the trip. You may be able to apply federal and state financial aid that you already have to academic costs. Check with the Financial Aid office to see what options you may have.
  • Some students even fundraise for their trip abroad. See the fundraising ideas compiled by Michigan State University’s Office of Study Abroad for some creative ways to cover costs.
How should I handle money abroad?
  • It is best to have access to multiple sources of money in case you should have difficulty with any one source. You should have some of the foreign currency and some US dollars with you at all times. Keep these in a secure place on your person such as in a hidden pocket or travel pack. Do not leave money or documents in pockets or bags that could be easily accessed by someone passing by. Awareness is the key to keeping your belongings safe.
  • ATMs in other countries often charge expensive fees for withdrawals, so be prepared to pay extra for the convenience of taking cash out.
  • You could consider taking traveler’s checks with you. Large travel agencies and AAA often provide that service. You may also be able to obtain a travel money card, which works like a declining debit card.
  • Most major credit cards are accepted abroad. You can research whether your card is accepted at most locations within the country you are traveling to. You should inform your credit card company in advance of your travel dates, otherwise they may put a stop on your card if they suddenly charges are made in another country.
  • Be aware of the exchange rate. Taking out 20 US dollars out of an ATM may not be a big deal, but if you take out 20 Euros, it is much more significant. Likewise, a credit card purchase in local currency is going to be different from the US dollar amount that you owe when you get home.


I don't have the time to study abroad because I have to finish my degree in ___.

With some careful planning, you can probably find a way to fit a study abroad experience into your degree program. Plan ahead; plan early! Check with your academic advisor to see if there are ways that you could get credit toward your major. Some abroad programs may fit directly into your degree problem with no trouble, and some experiences just need to be tweaked so that they count for classes or time that you would need at Chatham anyway. Summer is a great time to study abroad if you are crunched for time.

I couldn’t do a Chatham field experience in my sophomore year, is it too late now?

First priority for the program is currently given to sophomore students, but if you are an upper class student who has never participated in the program and meets the requirements (good academic, financial, and judicial standing with the university), you can still apply. All applicants regardless of class must meet requirements with the university. Look for program and application information in the fall semester.


Is it really safe to travel abroad? What about terrorism/ disasters, etc.?

What you hear in the news is often the exception, not the rule. It is safe to study abroad. You can check the US State Department’s website for travel updates about a particular country if you are concerned about safety in that area. Otherwise, you simply need to take precautions and follow the same basic rules that you would follow even at home in the US. Pay attention to your instincts – if something does not feel right, leave. Do not travel alone if you don’t have to, and never travel alone at night. Keep your personal belongings close to you and keep valuables hidden and out of easy reach. Be careful about accepting invitations to private events or locations. Never accept open drinks unless you are at a dining establishment. Above all, make sure that you know who to contact and where to go in the unlikely event of an emergency.

What if I get sick while I’m abroad? What about my prescription medications?

You should have medical insurance before you leave in case you get sick while abroad. Insurance does not cover you while you are abroad. You can purchase temporary international insurance, such as iNext

Often students will have a minor complaint like a cold or stomach flu. Familiarize yourself with the location of a pharmacy or store that sells basic remedies like pain killer, throat lozenges, cough syrup, etc.

If you have prescription medication, make sure that you have enough for your entire trip or that you can get a prescription filled where you are going. Check to be sure that your medications are legal in the country you are traveling to. You can talk with a doctor about an alternative if your medication is not legal in the country you will be visiting. The State Department has a page that provides answers to many health-related questions.


I only speak English; doesn’t that mean I can only go to England, Canada, or Australia?

No! There are plenty of universities abroad that offer coursework in English. You can find a program or school that offers most or all courses in English. You can work on language skills while you are abroad, but a lack of them should not keep you from going.

I’m not proficient enough in my secondary language to study abroad.

Study abroad is a great way to improve your language skills! You may need to prove proficiency if you want to take an academic course or a whole semester of courses in another language while you are abroad, but if you are going to work on language or to study in English, you do not need to worry that your language skills are not fluent. Check with appropriate contacts such as your academic advisor, study abroad coordinator, or program contact person to find out what plan is right for you. Many programs and courses through study abroad are either taught in English or you can choose language courses equivalent to your level of proficiency.

Homesickness/Culture Shock

I’m afraid I’ll miss my family and friends too much if I go abroad.

You may miss the people who are close to you here, but while you are away you can email and call them frequently. (If your cell phone does not allow international calls, international calling cards are easy to use and reasonably priced.) You can share pictures and stories online, and you will have lots to share with them about the new friends that you made while you were traveling.

What if things are really different when I get there? I won’t know how to do anything.

A little bit of discomfort in a new culture is normal and to be expected at first. You will adjust well if you are patient and keep an open mind. Do some research about the area you will be visiting before you go to learn a little about local customs. Do not be afraid to ask questions if you want to understand something. Just ask politely and try to apply what you learn. Before long, things that seemed hard or confusing at first will seem like second nature.


I am international student. Can I study abroad, and do I need another visa?

Yes, international students can study abroad! If you are studying in the United States from another country, you may need another visa to go abroad

You should discuss your plan with the International Student Services and Study Abroad Coordinator. They will help you navigate the immigration process to study abroad.

I don’t have a passport or my passport is expired

If you do not already have a passport or your passport will expire soon, now is a great time to get one. US Passports for adults (16 years old or older) are valid for 10 years and they are useful because you need them to travel anywhere outside of the US, including Canada or Mexico. Please see for details on application requirements and where to apply. 

The cost of a US Passport is $130 plus $35 in fees. Remember that passports take 10-13 weeks to process, so you cannot wait until the last minute to apply. Expedited services take 7-9 weeks, and carry additional fees. Don’t put it off!

Do I need immunizations or proof of medical records?

Check with the State Department’s website to answer health-related questions. Please note that some vaccinations have to be taken several weeks in advance, and you may not be permitted to leave for your trip if you do not have documents proving your compliance.


Can I use my cell phone while I am abroad?

Ask your program provider for their recommendation.  Also check with your service provider. Some phones are equipped to be used internationally. Other phones can be used internationally if you pay additional fees. Some phones have no international utility at all, and you may prefer to purchase an international calling card or a temporary/pay-by-use phone.

Can I take electrically powered devices with me?

You can take things like laptops and other electrically powered devices, but you may need an adapter or a converter to be able to use them since not all countries use the same voltage in their electrical systems. You could easily destroy an appliance or machine if you plug it in without a voltage converter. Check online to see what you may need for the country you are visiting.

Who should I tell that I am going abroad?
  • If you are receiving academic credit for your study abroad experience or internship, you must file a study abroad application with the Office of International Affairs.  If you are doing an internship, you must also complete paperwork with the Office of Career Development.
  • You should register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) when you are preparing to go abroad. The program exists in order to help the US State Department get in contact with you in the event of an emergency.
  • You should also inform your bank and credit card company so that they do not put holds on your accounts if you make charges from another country.
Where will I live? (with a family, by myself, find apartment, in a dorm)

Depending on your program, you may live with a host family, with other students from your program, or on your own depending on the type of study abroad trip that you are taking. If you are going with a group, you will likely get accommodations through the group. If you are going alone, you should find out if your program provides housing or if you need to find your own.

What should I pack?

In addition to the regular necessities like clothes, shoes, and toiletries the following items are recommended:

  • Proof of Insurance
  • Proof of Vaccinations and medical history. 
  • Prescriptions and medications
  • Student I.D. Card
  • Money Belt
  • Backpack (for class and for day-trips)
  • Camera/Journal
  • Family Photos
  • Set of dress clothes (just in case you go somewhere fancy)
  • Gift (it may be appropriate to bring your host family a simple gift from home)
  • An inventory list of the items you packed in your checked baggage, in case you need to make an insurance claim on lost luggage
  • Identification tags with your contact information on them, attached both outside and inside your checked bags and carry-on bags
  • The Study Abroad Handbook provides additional recommendations
What to Buy When You Get There

There are inexpensive items you can purchase at your destination. Consider buying items like shampoo, soap, sheets, towels, an umbrella and film while on your program. Hairdryers and curling irons are best purchased abroad because the voltage conversion will destroy your appliance – just buy a cheap one when you get there.

Will I get credit for classes abroad?

You will get credit if and when all Chatham study abroad requirements are met:

  1. Submitted study abroad application with all signatures
  2. Successfully completed study abroad coursework or internship requirements.
  3. Official transcript requested from study abroad provider and sent to Chatham Registrar
  4. Approved courses with grades of C or higher for undergraduates and B- or higher for graduate students will be transferred

Chatham students who study abroad will be required to submit a transcript. You should meet with your academic advisor to discuss course equivalency. You are responsible for ensuring that a transcript is sent directly to the Chatham Registrar; otherwise, Chatham cannot accept and verify grades.

What can I bring back to the United States?

Check with Customs and with your airline to see what you are permitted to carry into the US. Guidelines change frequently, so you should check right before you return to the US to make sure everything you want to bring back is allowed.

What travel considerations do I need to make?

Depending on where you are going, you may be able to take land transportation or you may have to fly. If you are using an airline, shop around for flights because rates can vary greatly. Try websites such as,,, and Also, be sure to check restrictions on what you may pack. Certain items may be banned or you may incur additional charges for too many bags or too much weight. Once you get to your destination, you should have a plan for in-country travel. Taxis can be prohibitively expensive, so rail or bus passes may be more efficient and affordable.

Chatham University Office of International Affairs